St. Joseph’s Health Centre is a Catholic community teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto that has served the communities of west Toronto and beyond for nearly a century. Empowered by the dedication of our staff, physicians, students and volunteers, and supported through strong partnerships and the input of local residents, St. Joe’s Toronto is committed to achieving its vision of advancing the health of our community by being Canada’s best community teaching health centre.
Accreditation, with Exemplary Standing
Accreditation Canada is a national organization that sets standards for quality and safety in healthcare and accredits organizations in Canada and around the world based on how well they meet those standards. After a review of the health centre’s clinical and operational practices, Accreditation Canada announced in December 2015 that St. Joe’s met or exceeded 99.9% of national quality standards and all 30 Required Organizational Practices, earning it Exemplary Standing – the highest honour possible.
At St. Joe’s Toronto:
- We provide care, close to home where our patients live in areas such as Emergency Care, Medicine, Family Birthing, Surgery, and Mental Health.
- People who come to our Emergency Department are seen by a physician faster than most hospitals in Ontario when they arrive.
- Our community has access to specialty surgery programs for cancer, hip and knee replacements and Bariatric, right where they live.
- Our Just for Kids walk-in clinic is staffed by peadatricians, 7 days a week including holidays, giving families access to complete clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic care within the hospital setting.
- We have a wide range of outpatient clinics to help support our patients’ continuum of care once they are discharged home, including our seniors clinic, fracture clinic, diabetes and paedatric clinics.
- We also work closely with our partners in the community so our patients have the right level of support services they need to stay healthy when they leave our care.
What truly makes St. Joe’s unique are those who live our mission and values every day and who make patient experiences the best they can be: our people. We define our people as a critical success factor. In essence, our people are much more than that. They are St. Joe’s.
Our people greet and meet patients and their families. They help them find their way in the hospital. They care for patients at the bedside or in the clinic. They perform tests and help explain test results. They deliver nutritious meals and help keep our spaces clean and safe. And they support our care teams and help identify ways we can improve and continue to provide the very best possible experiences for our patients and our community.
Our People – By the numbers (2015/16):
- Staff: 2,600
- Physicians: 400
- Volunteers: 430
- Students: 1,000
Who we Serve – By the Numbers (2015/16):
- Beds: 392
- Admissions: 22,315
- Average Length of Stay: 5.8 days
- Occupancy Rate: 100%
- Births: 3,341
- Diagnostic Imaging Procedures: 180,620
- Surgical and Procedural Cases: 27,471
- Ambulatory care visits: 254,755
- Emergency Department Visits: 100,648
- Percentage of Emergency Patients Admitted: 11.6%
Teaching and Lifelong Learning
We recognize how important teaching and education is to helping us advance our vision and deliver on our promise of providing quality care to meet the changing needs of our community. As an academic community teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto, students are as much a part of St. Joe’s as the doctors, nurses and volunteers patients will meet when they visit us.
By supporting the education of more than 1,000 students and medical trainees from a variety of disciplines each year, we embrace the role we play every day to educate and teach the next generation of health care professionals and leaders.
And each year, we celebrate teaching excellence of those who help deliver great student experiences and support the delivery of quality and safe patient care, and continued to build a culture of learning by investing in professional development opportunities for our people.