Mental Health Emergency Services Unit
12 hour shifts, must be available for day and night shifts
$23.04 to $24.187 per hour
Opened in 2014, the Mental Health Emergency Services Unit (MHESU) is a 12 bed, highly specialized unit dedicated to meeting the needs of patients who present in crisis with mental health and addictions issues. If you are passionate about mental health and addictions care and embrace working in a fast paced and innovative clinical environment where roles and responsibilities are continually evolving to better meet the needs of our patients, this opportunity is for you.
The Health Care Attendant will be working under the direction of a registered care provider, most often a Registered Nurse. Responsibilities include patient observation and participating as a member of the multi-disciplinary team in sharing information. The position involves working in partnership with Emergency Room staff and Adult In-Patient Mental Health, along with other hospital services and community resources. This role will contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors. This position will be responsible for supporting patients with activities of daily living, escorting patients to appointments or on privileges, and transferring patients to other facilities. As a member of our mental health team, you are highly-adaptable, highly-flexible and thrive in a fast paced environment.
1. Current Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate from a Community College or an Accredited PSW Education Program. Candidates who are currently working at the Health Centre in the Health Care Attendant job classification or in an equivalent classification will continue to be considered.
2. Current BLS certification required.
3. Complete the course on Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour (Crisis Prevention Institute-CPI) within 6 months.
4. Familiarity with Ontario Mental Health Act forms and procedures preferred.
5. Ability to perform FULL range of duties in this position including specific types of patient care as directed within the list approved for the category and by the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA).
6. Demonstrated understanding of mental health issues and challenges faced by mental health patients.
7. Demonstrated experience with patients who may have escalated or agitated behaviors and/or fluctuating mental status.
8. Demonstrated skills with conflict resolution and de-escalation.
9. Demonstrated ability to be respectful, nurturing, recovery-oriented and open-minded with patients and their families.
10. Ability to provide portering and transportation services for patients and supplies.
11. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, in the English language.
12. Satisfactory attendance record.
In order to be considered for the above vacancy, applicants must be received in the Human Resources Department on or before October 10th, 2017
* Please indicate Vacancy Number on all application forms.
HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.