At St. Joe’s we have a long and rich history of engaging with our community. In building our new 2015-2020 Strategic Plan we heard how much people care about their Health Centre and the role we play in the community. We also heard that our community wants to be involved in improving the care experience for all at St. Joe’s, which is why we are proud to introduce our Community Engagement Council (CEC).
What is our Community Engagement Council?
The mandate of the CEC is to assist the Health Centre in ensuring patients, families and the broader communities have a voice in helping us Advance the Health of our Community by Being Canada’s Best Community Teaching Health Centre.
It’s important that the CEC is reflective of the rich diversity that exists in Toronto’s West end neighbourhoods. This is evident in the current make-up of the Council with representation from persons from different walks of life, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, education and vocational experiences.
Comprised of a group of engaged patients and community members, our new Council is helping us to make the patient experience at St. Joe’s the best it can be.
Objectives for the Community Engagement Council are to:
- Improve and support the patient experience and health outcomes through patient, family and community involvement.
- Build a better understanding of community expectations of services provided by St. Joe’s.
- Grow community awareness of services provided by St. Joe’s.
- Develop community connections to create new opportunities for information sharing.
- Demonstrate to staff and the community the value of community engagement.
- Ensure that St. Joe’s applies a diversity and equity lens to all aspect of its services.
In the words of our CEC members:
“The CEC is able to assist St Joe’s in becoming a model patient-centred acute healthcare and teaching centre. It can help remove barriers and strengthen its partnerships and linkages with its community-based healthcare partners in order to foster good health and wellbeing for all residents within its catchment area.” (Mark)
“My hopes and goals for the CEC are to be a bridge for building mutually beneficial permanent relationships between St. Joe’s and its surrounding communities.” (Jeff)