The Broader Public Sector Accountability Act, 2010, requires that every Ontario hospital has established rules for expenses that are reimbursed from public funds.
St. Joseph’s Health Centre has two expense policies that are strictly followed; the Hospitality and Recognition Events Policy and the Travel and Business Expenses Policy. Highlights and downloadable versions of these policies are below.
Expense Policy Highlights
Travel & Accommodations
- Travel must be approved in advance unless it is under $100. The level of approval required is dependent on the expected costs and travel destination.
- Economy fare when traveling and standard rooms for accommodation must be chosen.
- When deciding between renting and using a personal vehicle, the most practical and economical means should be chosen. If the trip is greater than 200 km, generally a rental vehicle should be used. When renting a car, always choose the smallest size appropriate for the circumstances. Use of a personal vehicle must be discussed in advance with the staff member’s manager.
- Staff are encouraged to use public transit wherever possible.
- SJHC provides taxi vouchers for the approved taxi company. The use of taxis by staff should be reasonable.
Train & Air
- Use train and air travel sparingly. Always make sure travel is necessary and explore other options such as teleconferences and video conferencing.
- Staff are reimbursed for reasonable meal expenses when traveling on Health Centre business. The daily limit is $50 and there are limits on each individual meal as well.
- Non-travel related meals where only staff are involved are not allowed and will not be reimbursed (e.g. manager taking staff member out to lunch to show appreciation).
- The Health Centre will not reimburse for alcohol as part of a travel or meal expense.
Download the Expense Policies
The Broader Public Sector Accountability Act requires every Ontario hospital to post information relating to expense claims for Travel, Meals and Hospitality for members of its Senior Management group.
Details of the expense claims for St. Joseph’s Health Centre’s Senior Management group may be accessed by clicking on the links below: