Nursing Graduate Guarantee Program
St. Joe’s Nursing S.T.★.R.S. – Student Top-talent Recruitment Strategy
What is St. Joe’s Nursing S.T.★.R.S?
St. Joseph’s Health Centre (St. Joe’s) actively participates in the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s Nursing Graduate Guarantee (NGG) program. The NGG provides graduates from recognized nursing programs in Ontario, a guaranteed full-time nursing position (RN and RPN) for a period of 6 months. St. Joe’s Nursing ST★RS is our strategy to recruit and retain our best nursing students who have successfully completed their clinical placements with us. Note newly graduated nurses, who did not complete their consolidation here at St. Joe’s, are welcome to apply.
Are you a Nursing S.T.★.R?
Our vision is to Advance the Health of Our Community by being Canada’s Best Community Teaching Health Centre. One of our success factors rely on our people – the dedicated, compassionate and inspiring physicians, employees, students and volunteers who choose to be part of St. Joe’s Community. By recruiting and retaining our best nursing students into the NGG Program, we are fostering professional growth for novice nurses and creating a successful transition into a new nursing career.
How it works
- Nursing students who have completed their consolidation at St. Joe’s and who have demonstrated exemplary knowledge and skills in providing person and family centered care are eligible. They must be endorsed by their preceptor and by the Advanced Practice Clinical Educator and/or Patient Care Manager.
- If an NGG position becomes available, the position will be posted on the HealthForceOntario website, where the new graduate nurse will apply.
- Eligible participants will be invited for an interview. St. Joe’s will provide the successful candidate with an offer letter and a start date.
- The NGG participant has 72 hours to accept the offer through the HealthForceOntario site.
Our NGG Program
The NGG Program at St. Joe’s consists of:
- A comprehensive two-week blended orientation program consisting of classroom, eLearning, and hands-on learning
- A competency based learning pathway and learning plan suited to meet the nurse’s learning needs
- A minimum of 3 months of preceptored shift on various units to support the transition of the new graduate nurse with independent practice
- Regular check-ins and mentorship with the Advanced Practice Clinical Educator
Nurses in the NGG Program at St. Joe’s are hired into various patient care areas, such as:
Interprofessional Resource Team
Our Interprofessional Resource Team (IRT) covers a wide spectrum of specialties across the organization including General Medicine, Cardiology, Nephrology, Oncology, Neurology, Respirology, Thoracics, Orthopeadics, General Surgery, Emergency Department, and Mental Health.
Inpatient General Medicine/Surgical Unit
These units provide a wide range of medical services to meet the growing needs of our patients including Cardiology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Orthopedics, General Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, Haematology, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Rheumatology, and Respirology.
For more information, please contact:
Nursing Graduate Guarantee Testimonials
“I must say thanks to St Joseph’s Health Centre, for granting me the opportunity to work as a full time employee in the Nursing Graduate Guarantee program. The Health Centre has certainly made sure that the program was a successful one, as the training was tailored to meet our individual needs. I felt comfortable as the coordinators and educators were in constant communication, ensuring that I was always working in an area where I could gain valuable experience.
The Nursing Graduate Guarantee has allowed me the opportunity of working under the mentorship of other experienced nurses. I must say the nurses on 6G and ACC, where I have had the privilege of working, were very cooperative and supportive. I have gained an enormous wealth of knowledge and experience that will certainly help me throughout my career. I do hope this program will continue so that others can have the same opportunity I had and that St. Joseph’s Health Centre will continue to be involved – as they really did a great job.”
– Jacqueline, RPN
“The Nursing Graduate Guarantee was very helpful in easing me into the profession. There was no pressure to carry a patient load right away and be on your own and the orientation period is a very good time to become accustomed to the unit and your teammates.”
– Janice, RN