A message from Patricia O’Campo, Vice-President, Research
Our network prioritizes high quality patient care. Research should be a key component of ensuring that we provide the best care to our patients. Fortunately our network has world-class scientists and resources for all kinds of research from basic science to population health. As our new network evolves, we have an opportunity to work together to envision the many options we have for engaging in and using research to inform our work.
A message from Art Slutsky, Past Vice-President, Research
The potential for research has never been greater. Informed by our clinical excellence, research ultimately improves our ability to deliver the best possible care to our patients. There is great opportunity to continue to expand on existing research, launch new studies and for us to share knowledge that will make our health system stronger. Our strength is grounded in the excellent clinical care we deliver and our research is critical to enhancing our clinical excellence.
The Research department at St. Joseph’s Health Centre and the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute at St. Michael’s Hospital are fully integrated with the focus on providing support to staff (physicians, nurses, and multidisciplinary teams) for Clinical Research, including clinical trials, registries, health policy, health services, etc.
Some of the support we provide:
- Learning through research seminars, presentations, research events, and newsletters
- Training through review of TCPS2, GCP, HC Division 5 certification, etc.
- Facilitating connections with research resources and programs (e.g., Applied Health Research Centre, Knowledge Translation, Medical Education Research, etc.)
- Navigating regulatory requirements such as the Research Ethics Board (REB) and Clinical Trials Ontario (CTO)
- Services offered through cost recovery model:
- Launching studies through the start-up phase
- Assisting with research hires for funded projects
- Coordinating and managing sponsored clinical trials
- Research coordination activities
- Managing research Visitors and Volunteers on boarding process
- Facilitating review/negotiation of research contracts
- Review of research grant applications
- Sign off on Study Impact Approval Form for all submissions to REB
- Research grant applications, CTO submissions, and contracts requiring sign off by Vice President of Research must be facilitated through the Research Office