There are three types of hospital rooms available to our patients who have to stay overnight in the hospital:
- Standard ward:Which means four or three beds per room
- Semi Private:which means two beds per room
- Private:which means one bed per room
Medical need is the first priority when assigning rooms, so your request for a specific type of room may not always be filled. However, every effort will be made to give you the accommodation you choose.
Provincial health insurance covers standard ward accommodation only. If you request and receive preferred accommodation or do not have health insurance, you must make payment arrangements before you are admitted to the hospital. If you don’t have supplementary insurance coverage and request preferred accommodation, payment is required.
Fees for preferred accommodation are as follows:
For residents of Ontario who have a valid health insurance card, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) pays for hospital and medical services, with some exceptions. The items not covered by OHIP that you need to pay for include:
- Preferred accommodation: semi-private $245.00 per day and private rooms $290.00 per day. An interprovincial hospital billing rate per diem of $1,161 will be charged in the event that someone is ready for discharge but chooses not leave the Health Centre.
- ALC Co-payment – if during your stay you require an alternate level of care (long-term care home, complex continuing care) you will be billed an ALC Co-payment rate up to a maximum Ministry established rate of: Daily $58.99, or Monthly $1,794.28. An interprovincial hospital billing rate per diem of $1,161 will be charged in the event that someone is ready for discharge but chooses not leave the Health Centre. For more information about ALC-Co-payment visit the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care website by clicking here.
For patients with no Canadian provincial health insurance coverage, hospital and physician fees are charged directly. A daily room rate covers meals, nursing care and some medical supplies. Physician expenses will be billed separately by your doctor. Payment arrangements must be agreed upon with both the physician and the hospital prior to admission and/or service. (The exception is emergent care, which will always be provided regardless of ability to pay.)
The cost for hospital accommodations and services is as follows:
- Ward accommodation: $2500.00 for non-residents of Canada
- For semi-private accommodation – add $245.00 per day
- For private accommodation – add $290.00 per day
- Nursery accommodation $787.00 per day
- Day Surgery $2668.00
- Emergency visit $792.00
- Clinic Visit $346.00
For more financial and insurance information or to make a payment, contact Patient Accounts located in the East Wing on the 1st Floor, 416-530-6498. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday and closed on weekends and all statutory holidays. Payments can be made in the Emergency Department when the Patient Accounts department is closed or online by clicking here: http://stjoestoronto.ca/patient-care-and-services/pay-online/