Access & Flow
The Manager, Access and Flow is an integral role within the corporate Quality portfolio. Reporting to a Senior Director in the Quality, Performance and Chief Information Office (CIO) Portfolio, the Manager has the mandate to drive and facilitate both department operations and corporate performance improvements with a focus on access and flow as a dimension of patient quality of care. The Manager will work with all stakeholders to coordinate and facilitate the seamless flow of internal and external patient admissions, transfers, and discharges ensuring "the right patient is placed in the right bed at the right time", and maximizing the utilization and allocation of patient beds and clinical resources. This will include managing, coordinating, organizing, developing and evaluating operational activities; participating in strategic planning/quality management activities related to resource utilization, discharge planning, and ALC management. The Manage, Access & Flow is accountable for implementing strategies and processes to simplify patient flow as well as identifying and leading action around opportunities for improvement to help the team, site and Unity Health Toronto achieve defined goals. The Manager leads a team of Bed Booking Clerks, Patient Flow Specialists and After-Hours Supervisors, thereby providing the necessary infrastructure to catalyze a culture of continuous improvement, the progress of which is reflected in internally and externally monitored indicators of access and flow tied with provincial accountability and funding agreements.
• Monitors and supervises daily operations, bed control center, and bed booking/patient flow specialist team members
• Collaborates daily with all clinical units, communicating and collaborating with patient care and support service leadership/teams to ensure optimized clinical process efficiencies and patient transitions;
• Analyses data, and assists bed booking/allocation and unit staff in prioritizing/expediting care issues related to patient flow, utilization and staffing;
• Mediates and encourages patient flow staff in using problem solving techniques to resolve conflict issues;
• Acts as a resource, facilitator, coach, mentor, and role model for patient flow staff ;
• Monitors patient flow reports to analyze throughput and hospital wide demand and capacity status. Identifies barriers and recommends changes/improvements;
• Identifies patient care/safety issues and communicates concerns or complaints to the unit manager or patient relations in a timely manner;
• Conducts in-services, educates and coaches to ensure front-staff staff adoption and compliance with quality improvement programs, access and flow optimization tools, tactics, policies and protocols;
• Ensures and facilitates communication of changes in practice, protocols, education and other relevant material to Hospital staff and physicians;
• Coordinates care delivery with unit leaders;
• Trouble-shoots, in collaboration with cross-service unit and program leaders and the After-hours Supervisors/Managers, to ensure effective and efficient access and flow across all inpatient units;
• Collaborates with Information Technology/Management team to ensure effective and proper functioning of newly developed access and flow e-tools.
• Implements, analyzes and investigates patient cases or tracer reviews, as a tool to inform Clinical and Clinical Support Service Program Leaders of process improvement opportunities in their respective areas of responsibility;
• Synthesizes patient cases or tracer reviews, and integrates with performance metrics on a monthly basis, to advise the local site Access and Flow Committee on local and corporate level process improvement opportunities to inform decision-making and strategy;
• Serves as the organizational resource for receiving, integrating and reconciling daily patient bed access plans, developed and submitted by inpatient units, scheduled OR lists and ICU transfers and Admitting reports;
• Problem-solves for any discrepancies in the plans and reports submitted, and finalizes an effective, efficient corporate-wide patient bed access plan that will be communicated across the Hospital;
• Leads the development and implementation of annual bed surge plans in collaboration with Senior Clinical Program Directors, using data to drive strategies
• Collaborates with Senior Clinical Program Directors and Corporate Program directors to identify and manage service reductions, bed map changes and redevelopment plans that will impact patient flow
• Coordinate, in collaboration with Senior Clinical Program Directors, the annual pay for results, QIP and Patient Flow action plan
1. Bachelor's Degree in a regulated health discipline; Master's degree preferred.
2. Registration in good standing with a Regulatory College of Ontario required.
3. Minimum five years of recent acute care clinical experience.
4. Demonstrated leadership capabilities in a team environment, and ability to function successfully in a self-directed/autonomous model.
5. Strong interpersonal skills and proven effectiveness in engagement and consensus-building strategies with diverse stakeholders.
6. Demonstrated change management experience and expertise, with the ability to engage teams in large scale change initiatives.
7. Demonstrated skills in staff/patient education, and the ability to apply adult teaching/learning principles.
8. Proven, strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
9. Demonstrated strong analytical, organizational and conceptual skills.
10. Demonstrated competencies in Microsoft Office tools.
11. Demonstrated strong orientation to navigate through complex relationships, information and issues, and find solutions.
12. Demonstrated strong work ethic, integrity and accountability.
13. Demonstrated self-direction/initiation, and commitment to continuous professional learning and development.
14. Demonstrated ability to adapt and function effectively as a team member in response to changing or evolving demands and/or environment.
15. Excellent interpersonal, written & verbal communication skills and presentation skills.
16. Demonstrated ability to resolve conflict by generating creative solutions.
17. Demonstrated ability to use data to identify opportunities and engage in data driven decision making, and change management.
18. Satisfactory attendance record.
19. Lean training/certification, Project Management training/certification, and Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) courses preferred.
20. Experience with bed management and allocation and resource utilization, an asset.
21. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in LEAN and other process improvement/quality improvement methodology; LEAN belt certification an asset.
22. Project management training/certification, an asset.
23. Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario health care system, provincial legislation, accreditation standards an asset.
24. Knowledge of community resources, support services and partnerships.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.