Corporate Health, Safety & Wellness
Salary Under Review
The Director, Corporate Health, Safety & Wellness leads the 3 sites, Providence, St. Joseph's and St. Michael's Healthcare In consultation with the departmental leaders, the director develops and maintains a safe and healthy environment for hospital staff and clients. As the accountable leader for corporate health, safety & wellness for the three hospital sites, he/she sets the strategy for focus on metrics, reporting ,education and programs (consistent with legislative, regulatory and internal occupational health and safety policies, procedures) that lead to overall best practice in corporate health, safety & wellness in a hospital setting.
Responsibilities & Activities:
• Contributes to and facilitates the achievement of the specific objectives determined for Occupational Health and Wellness through the development and implementation of policies and practice to ensure successful realization of the corporate goals relate to employee wellness;
• Drives the operational implementation of strategies and initiatives in a way that builds a Network wide safety and compliance culture in line with policies, procedures and values;
• Ensures the department and organization is in compliance with applicable health and safety legislation, guidelines and standards;
• Responsible for the development and maintenance of OHS&W policies to ensure that programs are current, competitive;
• Develops and updates the Early and Safe Return to Work (ESRTW) management strategy with respect to both occupational and non-occupational claims;
• Develops and implements compliance audits of operation for all locations to ensure compliance and regulatory creating synthesis and consistency across the Network.
• Serves as the subject matter expert /leader within the Hospital providing a high level of expertise, insight and understanding on OHS&W matters;
• Provides direction/leadership for management level staff and the team as a coach and mentor; defines accountabilities while directing and supporting the achievement of performance goals, within functional area of responsibility;
• Leads occupational health, safety and wellness programs across the three sites;
• Provides leadership to ensure clinical, financial and organizational outcomes regarding corporate health and safety services;
• Is accountable to ensure inspections/audits that are required are carried out to ensure facility compliance and conducts follow-through on prescribed courses of action;
• Provides consultation, advice and leadership to all levels of management on issues related to occupational and non-occupational illness/injury;
• Provides organizational leadership to ensure the effective management of worker injury and illness claims.
• Acts as management advisor representative on Joint Health and Safety Committee and/or Union Arbitration/Grievance meetings;
• May be required to respond to emergencies outside of regular working hours as need dictates
• Leads the development and maintenance of emergency response.
• Owns and drives an occupational health, safety & wellness strategy ensuring a safe and healthy environment for hospital staff and clients;
• Builds working relationships with key players to advance OHS&W internally and externally;
• Communicates and provides advice to stakeholders and the community regarding health & safety;
• Ensures that the Hospital's Corporate Health and Safety Services are in compliance with legal requirements, health standards, corporate policies and collective agreements;
• Maintains responsibility for making high level decisions throughout the day in order to navigates the organization to a health & safety culture;
• Applies broad decision - making in the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, programs, and procedures to support the Hospital's Corporate Health and Safety Services with a focus on continuous improvement;
• Leads the development and maintenance of emergency response;
• Leads the compliance of management of the joint health & safety committees across the three hospital sites;
• Leads the employees that conduct the investigation of workplace injuries, accidents and near misses, ensures compliance with accident investigation techniques ,including preparing recommendations for prevention and ensuring implementation of corrective actions;
• Oversees the development, coordination and facilitation of, H&S training registration, tracking and reporting. Strives to raise numbers of compliance of mandatory training related to health and safety across 3 sites;
• Prepares and presents required presentations/updates/reports that will be presented to the Board of Directors and Quality Committee of the Board;
• Responsible for assessing and making recommendations on multiple and varied requests for OHS&W information;
• Leads the work related to audit with respect to maintaining the organizations quality certification;
• Manages the delivery of counsel , guidance and advice on OHS&W issues/matters to managers, employees and volunteers to achieve excellence in service delivery;
• Provides overall strategic leadership to set the direction , deliver activities to support OHS&W objectives/deliverables and implement procedures to mitigate risk.
• University degree in healthcare or equivalent related field, required;
• Master's degree in healthcare or equivalent related field ,preferred;
• Minimum five (5) years of senior leadership in a healthcare setting;
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered with a minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in the field of health and safety management or occupational hygiene;
• Working knowledge of legislation and principles pertaining to health and safety; relevant federal and provincial legislation, such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Regulations, etc. and/or regulatory agencies to include OSHA, FMLA, ADA, Worker's Compensations, CDC and Joint Commission;
• Ability to explain and apply corporate policy and procedures and collective agreement provisions effectively;
• Excellent computer and information technology skills, including MS Office applications;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to present material to different audiences up to and including the Board of Directors level;
• Ability to relate to all levels of the organization from the executive level to the Hospital floor;
• Excellent persuading and influencing at senior level skills;
• Strong leadership ability exercising confidentiality in working with sensitive employee medical data;
• Diplomacy when dealing with (both union and non-union), as well as external stakeholders;
• Conflict management skills;
• Passion for employee wellness, safety and ability to execute both the strategy and the implementation of best practice;
• Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision;
• Ability to make independent judgment and to act on decision on a daily basis;
• Ability to delegate and hold team accountable;
• Attention to detail, effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Proven ability to manage time in a deadline-oriented environment;
• Record keeping knowledge and systems knowledge;
• Experience in preparation of reports as well as the preparation of graphs and spread sheets;
• Statistical analysis skills;
• Knowledge/understanding of financial funding models, funding formulas/adjustment factors and the implication on budget projections;
• Knowledge of hazard control systems.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION: Applications for this position will be managed at the St. Michael's Hospital site. In order to be considered for this position, applications must be submitted online at: http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/stmichaels/JobDescription.asp?CategoryCode=14449&JobNumber=842974&JobTitle=DirectorCorporateHealthSafetyWellness
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.