Plant Services and Maintenance
$48.986 to $57.630 per hour
The Manager, Maintenance and Plant Services is responsible for providing operational direction to staff in the Maintenance and Plant Services department at the St. Joseph's Health Centre site of Unity Health Toronto. The Manager's role is to enable and support the overall mission of the network in providing a safe, functional, comfortable and sustainable environment for patients, staff and visitors. The Manager maintains responsibility for the site specific physical facilities and building systems/infrastructure, including proper 24/7 operations, repair and maintenance of all business systems and equipment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains responsibility for the management of the Maintenance and Plant Services department, and provides oversight of the day to day operations of the Hospital building systems, i.e. mechanical, ventilation, electrical, plumbing, life safety, medical gases, and temperature control, etc
• Implements the objectives for the department which are in alignment with the needs and objectives of the hospital, industry trends and technological advancements, ensuring a safe, secure, comfortable and functional physical environment for staff, volunteers, in/outpatients and associated family/visitors
• Implements process/cost effectiveness improvements and oversees all building system reporting activities, including implementing energy management program(s) and energy saving initiatives
• Ensures the continuity and reliability of utilities and systems to support life safety of patients and essential services, to prevent failures which would result in possible closure of the Hospital
• Provides leadership to meet long term needs for plant operation and maintenance activities ensuring continuity and reliability of essential services and equipment
• Maintains direct involvement in enabling Capital Projects
• Responsible for the operations of the department, and the effective use of its resources (budget, staffing, etc)
• Ensures financial and planning processes are appropriately linked to projects, service delivery and other visible department outputs which provide value to clients, while identifying opportunities for cost savings and revenue generation
• Maintains accountability to the Senior Director Engineering and Plant Services for appropriate fiscal performance of the Department
• Negotiates in partnership with the Senior Director Engineering and Plant Services legally binding contracts associated with external service providers, providing subject matter expertise for the Hospital when evaluating and selecting service providers for various services
• Prepares and presents budgets, financial reports, etc. as required
• Identifies, develops and implements strategies in support of attracting, retaining, motivating and developing appropriate management and front line staff
• Provides progressive team leadership and development to ensure the successful achievement of professional, departmental, portfolio and corporate goals and objectives
• Provides direction/leadership for the team as a coach and mentor; defines accountabilities while directing and supporting the achievement of performance goals
• Conducts performance reviews, of direct reports; takes appropriate corrective action, where appropriate, as required to meet identified departmental needs
• Develops and executes strategies to build and foster an effective team environment and a culture built on respect, trust, wellbeing and lifelong learning for staff
• Creates a positive work environment and culture by developing, mentoring and coaching an organization of high performing maintenance professionals, with the appropriate skills and competencies to meet organizational and departmental objectives. Ensures, through succession planning and training, the continuous development of talent.
• Establishes and maintains a safety culture in their organization through visible leadership by example and ensures training, documentation, personal protective equipment, and procedures are available and applied. Encourages initiative and leadership in all aspects of safety.
• Collaborates with the Management team to strategize on recruitment efforts for key technical positions
• Supports and ensures staff have opportunities for professional development, career advancement, department wide training and educational opportunities
• Ensures the management team functions in alignment with Hospital and Human Resources Policies and negotiated Collective Agreement
1. Completion of post-secondary education and trade certification in one of the following trades: Stationary Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Millwright or Electrician
2. Facility Management Certification (FM) preferred
3. Five (5) years progressive management experience within a Healthcare setting in Building Maintenance and Plant Services
4. Labour relations experience within a unionized work environment
5. Financial management and analysis experience, including experience managing budget(s) and conducting financial analysis
6. Experience and understanding of the design of mechanical and electrical building system and infrastructure
7. Experience working with communication networks, building envelope science and structural design
8. Experience managing and developing a diverse group of professional and support staff
9. Exceptional interpersonal, negotiation and conflict management skills to interact with and develop relationships with staff and external parties
10. Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical staff to ensure understanding, as well as ability to convert technical issues into financial terms
11. Excellent understanding of relevant and applicable codes and regulations
12. Excellent working knowledge of multiple computer program(s), including, database manipulation, DDC control sequence of operations, spreadsheet programming, financial reporting, and alarm management
13. Highly developed critical/strategic thinking, problem solving, planning, evaluation, negotiation and time management skills
14. Ability to effectively manage and develop staff
15. Strong knowledge of clinical and non-clinical Hospital layout
16. Strong leadership skills working in a multicultural/diverse work environment
17. Strong understanding of WHMIS and Hospital infection control practices
18. Self-motivated and self-directed with ability to motivate and direct others
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.