Mental Health & Addictions Program
$41.926 – $59.201 per hour
The Mental Health & Addictions Program has redeveloped our Mental Health Emergency Services! We have implemented our new model of care that was redesigned to better meet the needs of patients with acute mental health and addictions issues in a recovery oriented and trauma informed approach to care. We are seeking a Patient Care Manager to lead this service towards optimized quality of care, through LEAN quality improvement tools and strategies. Our new Patient Care Manager should be someone who is passionate about mental health care and who embraces quality and process improvement, and believes in partnerships to advance and develop innovative care models and strategies to ensure exceptional care we provide to a vulnerable and growing patient population .
Working in partnership with the Medical Service Head of Acute Mental Health Services, the Patient Care Manager, Mental Health Emergency Services Unit (MHESU) will oversee a dynamic team of nursing and allied health staff in this redesigned 24/7 service. They will also provide leadership for the design and implementation of an urgent care mental health service here at St. Joe's. We are looking for a competent change leader, with a passionate curiosity about quality improvement and excellent skills in engaging staff, physicians and internal and external stakeholders around implementation of new programs and services. This position reports to the Clinical Program Director and works closely with the Patient Care Managers and Medical Service Heads/Directors for the various service areas.
1. Quality of Patient Care
• Seeks insight into patient/family care needs and works with the interdisciplinary health care team to develop solutions/service delivery that provide exceptional patient care
• Establishes standards of care for the service in conjunction with the Medical Service Head, Administrative Program Director and Medical Director
• Develops evaluation criteria that support excellent patient care, utilizing best practices and quality improvement processes
• Works collaboratively with Advanced Practice Clinical Educator to ensure that staff meet professional standards and supports ongoing professional learning and development
• Ensures an interdisciplinary approach to care, recognizing the unique contribution of each discipline
• Fosters trust and teaches new behaviours/approaches by example
• Facilitates and role models effective customer service and problem resolution
• Facilitates and supports effective team behaviour/development of a high performance team
2. Bed Flow and Partnerships within the Mental Health & Addictions Acute Care Alliance
• Coordinates bed flow for adult inpatient mental health units (42 beds) and child and adolescent inpatient mental health unit (8 beds) in partnership with Medical Service Heads, consistent with access and flow targets for the program and Health Centre
• Accountability for ensuring transfers of patients with partner hospitals within the Mental Health & Addiction Acute Care Alliance, TCLHIN
• Maintains collaborative relationships with partner hospitals within the Mental Health Alliance, TCLHIN, and internally within St. Joe's
• Represents the Mental Health and Addiction Program on the Mental Health & Addiction Acute Care Alliance Access Model Committee for operational and bed flow issues
• Maintains collaborative relationships with community partners for Alliance and TCLHIN agency projects and acts as the site coordinator for the Mental Health & Addictions Program
3. Strategic/Operational Management
• Through LEAN tools and methodologies, optimizes and simplifies systems/structures/policies to support the vision of the program/Health Centre
• Identifies potential market and strategic opportunities for the program in the community
• Develops and nurtures partnerships with internal and external communities
• Communicates vision and direction through a variety of media, and articulates their link to strategic initiatives
• Works to facilitate an effective continuance of care with internal and external caregivers
4. Resource Management (Human, Material, Financial)
• Provides point of care resources to ensure safe and exceptional patient and family care within service budget
• Identifies trends, issues and challenges requiring change in practice patterns or system processes
• Encourages and supports risk taking and innovation amongst all members of the health care team
• Mentors/coaches staff to ensure leadership development
• Develops human resource plans to meet present and future program needs
• Creates an environment which empowers individuals to take ownership and accountability for their actions
• Develops and manages budget to support safe and exceptional patient and family care
• Ensures effective performance management processes
• Supports effective recruitment and retention strategies
1. Masters Degree in nursing/health discipline or equivalent preferred; Baccalaureate degree required.
2. Registration in good standing with a Regulatory College of Ontario required.
3. Management experience of at least 2 years in middle level management in a Clinical Acute Care Hospital Environment required; Mental Health emergency services environment preferred.
4. Progressive leadership experience in quality, resource and utilization management and planning, effective communication and achievement.
5. Training and competence in change management, project management and LEAN preferred
6. Demonstrated significant experience in a leadership role.
7. Superior interpersonal, communication, and critical thinking skills.
8. Ability to initiate and lead change effectively.
9. Superior financial and statistical management abilities; including the ability to assess, interpret and project budgetary needs.
10. Program planning and evaluation skills.
11. Ability to make quick and effective decisions in the organization and functioning of the nursing unit or services.
12. Ability to discern relevant information to make effective judgments and decisions.
13. Evidence of ongoing professional development.
14. Ability to work with all health disciplines to achieve best practices.
15. Possess team building, creative thinking and ability to function effectively during periods of rapid change and transition.
16. Computer literacy in a Windows environment utilizing Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
17. Demonstrates understanding of contribution to patient and staff safety.
18. Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
19. Demonstrates and models behaviours consistent with St. Joe's values.
20. Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
21. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.