Child and Adolescent Mental Health Program
Full Time Temporary
Monday to Sunday, 12hr shifts, available to rotate on all shifts required
$32.66 to $45.94 per hour ; 25 year rate: $46.76 per hour
*Full Time Temporary(Until Approximately July 1, 2020)
Since the inception of this unit in 2001, we have become one of the most reputable child and adolescent mental health inpatient units in the region. Over recent years, this unit has provided quality mental health care to children and adolescents presenting with a variety of mental health diagnoses, medical conditions and/or addiction issues. This unit uses a team approach to care planning and delivery of care. Working in collaboration with our Social Workers, Psychiatrists, and Child & Youth Workers, the Registered Nurse will conduct mental health assessments, therapeutic group programming, psycho-education, risk assessments, and stabilization of patients. The Registered Nurse will promote health and well-being, recognize patient dignity, and regard patients and their families as an essential partner in the delivery of healthcare.
Affiliated with the University of Toronto and as part of our larger Mental Health and Addictions program, we provide trauma informed care and developmentally appropriate services while strengthening our community partnerships to promote recovery. St. Joseph's is committed to professional development, research, innovation and student learning.
As a member of our mental health team, you are highly-adaptable, highly-flexible and thrive in a structured environment. Your approach to care and teamwork is non-judgemental and inclusive with patients and staff. The Registered Nurse will be committed to continuous professional development of their nursing competencies. Successful candidates will be required to successfully complete their Canadian Nurses Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing within two years.
1.Currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
2. Canadian Nurses Association (C.N.A) Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing on hire or willingness to complete within 2 years of start date.
3. Current BLS/CPR.
4. Non-Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention Training required within 3 months of start date.
5. Two years of recent mental health and addictions nursing experience in an acute care setting required (recent within last 5 years), including one year minimum with child and adolescent patient populations. Candidates with a minimum of 6 months of experience may be considered at the Health Centre's sole discretion.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to patient and family centred care.
8. Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
9. Demonstrated passion for change and ongoing quality improvement in support of patient care
10. Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and
effectively within an interprofessional team environment.
11. Experience in engaging in therapeutic approaches such as (but not limited to) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT), and mindfulness.
12. Experience in facilitating individual and family sessions and comfortable conducting these sessions independently.
13. Demonstrated professionalism, accountability and positive attitude.
14. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patients and their families.
15. Demonstrated ability to recognize the signs of a deteriorating patient and the symptoms of substance
16. Demonstrated ability to engage patients and their families in psycho-education and structured therapeutic group programming.
17. Proficiency in the application of de-escalation and de-briefing skills.
18. Demonstrated skills in bio-psychosocial assessment, mental status assessments, differential diagnosis,
treatment and transitional care of mental health and addictions patients.
19. Demonstrated knowledge and application of legislation which guides mental health nursing practice (example, Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act, Child and Family Services Act).
20. Demonstrated alignment with St. Joseph's Health Centre Values.
21. Ability to type notes and access/navigate hospital electronic systems for the provision of care to patients.
22. Evidence of ongoing professional development and learning.
23. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.