Urban Family Health Team (27 Roncesvalles and 30 Queensway sites)
Full Time Temporary
Monday – Fridays, one evening (until 8pm)/week may be required
$32.660 - $45.940, 25 year rate: $46.760
Full Time Temporary, until approx. April 12, 2019.
As a member of the interprofessional primary care team of the Family Medicine/Urban Family Health Team, the registered nurse provides comprehensive primary care services to individuals and their families across the lifespan S/he supports health promotion and disease prevention initiatives in optimizing health for our patients and families. The individual will model, promote, facilitate and evaluate practices supported by the best evidence The successful candidate provides primary care services that reflect the Mission, Vision and Values of SJHC and our surrounding diverse community.
As a role model and champion the successful candidate works to identify and integrate safe, best practices into daily activities to foster the delivery of safe and exemplary primary care. Complies with all relevant SJHC and UFHT policies, procedures, and protocols in regards to:
• Provides ongoing care to clients of all ages, including assessments, counseling, screening, referrals, education and follow-up within a primary care framework and guided by the RNAO Best Practice Guidelines ;
• Initiates and co-manages appropriate nursing interventions and uses current knowledge trends to care for patients and/or monitors the ongoing therapy of clients with chronic stable illness
• Performs telephone triage and monitoring within the clinical setting
• Performs a variety of medical procedures such as: immunizations, injections, dressing, ear syringing, liquid nitrogen treatments and PAPs
• Promotes self-management and behaviour change with our patients in order to address chronic diseases early in the disease cycle to prevent disease progression and reduce potential health complications.
• Collaborates with the client and family and the interprofessional team to develop health care plans and recommendations concerning treatment, prevention and health promotion options
• Collaborates with the interprofessional team, community agencies and institutions within the broader community to foster self-help, mutual aid and capacity building for patients/clients
• As a consumer of research, collaborates with the inter-professional team to implement clinical practices that reflect best available evidence;
• Participates in committees, nursing specific and staff meetings and design teams, as required for the planning and evaluation of responsive programs and services
• Enhances patients and their families' awareness with regards to primary care, chronic disease, or heath promotion/preventative care
• Utilizes and develops educational and skills development tools and resources in order to maintain and enhance the overall health of the patient.
• Supports the St Joseph's Health Centre's education programs, and supervises interprofessional and intraprofessional learners (including FamMed residents, clinical clerks, nursing, and others)
• Collaborates with the team in exploring, referring and connecting with local community resources, potentially offering on and off-site coordination of services and group programming for our patients.
• Establishes contact with surrounding local service agencies, in order to link our patients with the appropriate supports and resources in the community
1. Current General Class (Practising) Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
2. A minimum of 3-5 years' recent experience in a Primary Care/Family Practice, community or emergency nursing is required.
3. Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certificate required
4. Experience in a community primary care setting, preferably in an underserviced area, or in combination of community and hospital or public health settings preferred
5. Demonstrated ability, commitment to and knowledge of primary health care with focus on provision of health promotion and disease prevention related services as well as chronic disease management required
6. Demonstrated ability to work in an interprofessional team environment;
7. Demonstrated experience in teaching and providing health education to individuals and in group settings; as well as to interprofessional learners (including residents and clinical clerks)
8. Excellent computer skills and a minimum of 2 years' experience with an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Primary Care system or equivalent experience required;
9. Strong assessment and triaging skills, acute care experience an asset
10. Clinical Skills in Well Women Care course an asset
11. Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidence based methods and practices of primary care delivery
12. Experience in group program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation preferred;
13. Excellent interpersonal skills;
14. Excellent communication, decision-making, problem solving, conflict management and time management skills.
15. Satisfactory attendance record
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.