$37.693 – $47.287 per hour
The Department of Laboratory Medicine is seeking an experienced candidate to join its leadership team. The ideal candidate should have a very strong background in all aspects of a core laboratory. The candidate will also have strong skills and experience necessary to support the Health Centre's point-of-care testing (POCT) activities.
• Effectively lead and supervise the Core Laboratory staff to ensure the provision of accurate patient test results and continuous improvement;
• Actively participate in recruitment (preparation of job postings, interviews and hiring) of new employees, and ensure their training and competency;
• Lead the continuous professional development of employees through training, coaching, counselling, competency assessments, annual performance management reviews and attendance management, and maintain appropriate documentation as required;
• In collaboration with Laboratory Management, assess laboratory workflow and develop and communicate long and short term staffing needs in order to schedule staff appropriately to cover all departments and shifts
• Collaborate with the Quality Coordinator in the planning, implementation, organizing and maintenance of the laboratory quality management system QMS);
• Collaborate with the Quality Coordinator to conduct internal audits and implement corrective actions to ensure conformance to laboratory accreditation requirements (IQMH). Review all laboratory proficiency testing program results
• Perform and interpret audits of the quality management system and work flow analysis and reporting findings to the Laboratory Management Committee;
• Ensure that the Core Laboratory remains current with leading edge technology and procedures;
• Participate in the preparation of the laboratory budget and reporting quarterly reporting status to Finance;
• Review, modify and submit quality scorecard indicators to Decision Support Services;
• Collect and report monthly MIS workload volumes to the Finance department;
• Work closely with department Technical Specialists (including POCT) and specimen management, to continually review all aspects of technical, quality and operational needs and ensure standard operating procedures are relevant and current;
• In collaboration with Laboratory Management, identify and implement new equipment (including POCT) through the capital equipment acquisition process. Ensure the process, procedure, validation and training for newly acquired equipment meets all accreditation requirements.Assist the Quality & POCT co-coordinator in the purchase, implementation, validation and training of new POCT equipment;
• Participate in all required Laboratory committees such as Laboratory Operations, Safety, Transfusion, POCT, Quality Management and Quality indicators
• Review and address all non-conformance incidents in the corporate safety reporting system
• Delegate the process, procedure and validation for newly acquired laboratory equipment;
• Responsible for all aspects of scheduling to ensure adequate staffing and employee payroll submissions;
• Maintain a safe work environment and ensures that staff are in compliance with corporate and laboratory related safety policies and procedures; and
• Participate with and also delegate the responsibility of teaching allied health professionals from various associated educational programs.
1. CMLTO Registration (in good standing) required;
2. Advanced Registered Technologist with CSMLS and/or a Bachelor Degree in Science and/or management degree/certificate;
3. Minimum of 5 years laboratory experience including two years in a leadership capacity;
4. Demonstrated leadership, teaching, organizational and human relation skills;
5. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
6. Proven administrative skills necessary to organize and coordinate the daily activities of the Core Laboratory; and
7. Strong Microsoft Office and Lab Information System Knowledge;
8. Satisfactory attendance record as per the Health Centre's Attendance Management Program Policy SJ-08-01-08.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.