Infection, Prevention & Control
Full Time Temporary
Monday to Friday Days
$44.943 - $53.150 per hour
Full Time Temporary, 12 months
Shifts: Monday to Friday Days, with on-call responsibility and some flexibility required.
As an integral member of St. Joseph's Health Centre, the Infection Control Practitioner provides expertise and consultation to meet the needs of an evolving infection prevention and control program. This is accomplished through surveillance activities and the provision of other selected services to facility programs, staff, physicians, support services, patients and the community at large. The Infection Control Practitioner reports to the Infection Prevention & Control Manager for operations, and consults with the Infection Control Officer for clinical issues.
1. Develops, coordinates and performs surveillance activities within the health centre and prepares regular reports.
2. Develops mechanisms to decrease the risk of adverse events and other outcomes of epidemiological significance.
3. Participates in the provision of consultation services, on an on call basis.
4. Provides education and training to internal and external care providers and other staff members and patients.
5. Performs continuous quality improvement responsibilities.
6. Acts as a resource for internal and external clients.
7. Reviews and revises the Infection Control manual.
8. Facilitates the development of strategic goals and objectives for the program
9. Participates in research activities to advance the practice of Infection Prevention and Control at St. Joseph's Health Centre.
10. Participates in professional development and education activities internally and externally.
11. Participates as a member of the Infection Control Committee and others, as appropriate.
1. Baccalaureate degree in health care related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Minimum three (3) years healthcare experience in an acute care facility preferred.
3. Minimum one (1) year Infection Control experience required.
4. Current certification from the Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology or able to write the CIC exam within two (2) years of hire.
5. Completion of an IPAC-Canada approved Infection Prevention and Control Course, or within one (1) year of hire.
6. Current membership in IPAC-Canada.
7. Knowledge of epidemiological principles, statistics, microbiology and infectious diseases.
8. Knowledge and training in adult education and/or demonstrated skill in teaching.
9. Experience with construction and renovation projects in relation to infection control preferred.
10. Motivated, self-starter with initiative and strong management, organizational, and problem-solving and communication skills.
11. Knowledge of computer databases and spreadsheet applications, proficiency in MS Office, email and Internet applications e.g. literature search are essential.
12. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.