Ambulatory Care Centre (3E, Teaching Clinic)
Days; Tuesday (all day), Wednesday (all day), Thursday (afternoons)
$32.660 to $45.940 per hour, 25 year rate: $46.760 per hour
Part Time, 0.5 Commitment
Shifts*: Days; Tuesday (all day), Wednesday (all day), Thursday (afternoons)
*subject to change based on operational needs
The RN will provide high quality nursing care for a variety of medicine and surgical patients in a fast paced clinic environment, which includes high patient turnover.
The RN will be primarily assigned as sole nurse to support the micrographic surgery and skin oncology clinic (Mohs), our Vascular Teaching Clinic, and other outpatient clinics as required.
The RN must be able to manage the physical demands of the position, including multiple dressing changes, patient transfers and support with patient positioning. S/he will play an integral role in preparing the patient, including general assessment, medication reconciliation, and overall care management.
The RN will collaborate with other team members to ensure clinic flow, which may include other clinic duties as required. The RN will also actively engage in the teaching, mentoring and learning opportunities provided.
The RN will be responsible for, but not limited to:
• Performing preoperative and postoperative patient assessments
• Actively participating in surgical procedures including administering local anaesthetic and performing minor electrofulguration and primary surgical assist.
• Independent suture removal and surgical site assessment
• Management of post-surgical site including dressing wounds
• Provide extensive patient education related to the procedure, including group teaching for patients.
• Provide extensive post care education including wound care, healing and sun skin protection.
• Prepare procedure trays with aseptic technique
• Manage patient flow, assist with triage and room turnover
• Liaise with Home and Community Care
• Respond to patient telephone inquiries, including management of complications
• Complete health history intake interviews with patients (phone calls and in-person)
• Participate in orienting, precepting, teaching medical students and nursing students
• Document in patient chart
• Stock procedure rooms with medical supplies
• Communicate collaboratively with team (including health care aide) in optimizing clinic flow, room turnover, tray preparation, and room restocking
• Patient centered approach to ensure patient experience is optimized
The responsibilities described above are representative and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
1. Currently registered in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
2. Current BLS/CPR certificate required.
3. Recent acute surgical or dermatology experience, including post-operative assessment required. Experience with Mohs procedures is preferred.
4. Wound care experience required (advanced wound care course preferred).
5. Experience with IV medicine.
6. Demonstrated knowledge and experience of outpatient clinic models of care, including ability to organize patient care demands and to set priorities in a rapidly changing environment preferred.
7. Able to work independently and manage complex and unpredictable patients through critical thinking and judgement.
8. Demonstrated effectiveness with patient education.
9. Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task.
10. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
11. Self-directed and collaborative clinical leader who demonstrates professional behavior and has effective conflict management skills.
12. Ability to establish excellent patient rapport quickly with a commitment to patient/family-centred care.
13. Excellent physical assessment skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
14. Able to perform the full range of duties as required in this position (e.g. standing for extended periods of time etc.) in a fast-paced environment with high turnover of patients.
15. Demonstrated ability to work effectively within an interprofessional team as well as independently.
16. Membership in the Dermatology Nursing Association is an asset.
17. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.