Reporting to the Director, Financial Planning and Strategy, the Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis is responsible for the following areas across the Network: Budget process, budget template preparation, financial reporting, organization performance monitoring, Ministry funding analysis, financial forecasting (including cash flow and balance sheet) and all associated activities and responsibilities associated with these areas. It is expected that the Manager will also be involved for budget-related activities of Research and Trust. The Manager is expected to have interactions with other Hospital departments and units (clinical and non-clinical) to meet its expected outcomes.
• Manages a team of Program Financial Consultants, by setting goals, performance expectations for, and provide coaching to, supporting their achievement;
• Leads, manages, coordinates, and participates in the development of the Hospital's annual and multi-year operating budget, and subsequently performs the monitoring and forecasting of such budgets at a hospital-wide level (with support for stakeholders);
• Collaborates with management to address financial issues, providing analysis, evaluation and recommendations to inform decision making;
• Executes and manages budget planning, forecasts and analysis to ensure compliance with the Hospital's Service Accountability Agreement ("H-SAA"), while maintaining the highest standards for its operations;
• Works on Health System Funding Reform, working with clinical services and other administrative functions to maximize revenue and ensure compliance with H-SAA;
• Works with clinical and administrative businesses on financial aspects of business objectives, including business case development, analysis of financial performance and development of performance improvement plans;
• Executes planning, forecasting and analysis for capital expenditures for the Network, and provides advice and analysis to support capital and budgeting operating decisions (e.g., internal rate of return analyses, buy versus lease alternatives, evaluating of new business opportunities, and cost cutting efficiencies)
• Prepares presentation and undertakes monthly analysis of operating reviews with clinical and administrative business units leadership in accordance with Network system and/or guidelines and advises on relevant financial and accounting issues and resource allocations such as personnel, capital allocations, and investments;
• Support for committee and external meetings
• Establish, organize and implement strategies within the portfolio and is responsible for the operations of its departments as well as the effective use of its resources (budget, staffing, etc).
• Ensures financial and planning processes are appropriately linked to projects, service delivery and other visible department outputs which provide value to clients, while identifying opportunities for cost savings and revenue generation;
• Maintains full responsibility for planning, monitoring, managing and allocating departmental budget to meet departmental goals;
• Performs cross-functional and other duties as assigned and/or requested
1. Master's degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field required.
2. Minimum seven (7) years progressive financial/accounting and managerial experience preferably in a healthcare setting.
3. CPA designation (CMA, CGA, CA) required.
4. Experience with budgeting and forecasting for large complex organizations.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with hospital staff and community.
6. Strong team leadership and team development skills.
7. Strong project management and change management skills.
8. Demonstrated knowledge of current healthcare funding trends to keep ahead of change.
9. Demonstrated success in negotiating contracts with vendors, contractors, and others.
10. Astute judgment when identifying and resolving issues around time and risk management.
11. Ability to maintain confidential information concerning personal, financial, or medical matters.
12. Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, both logical and interpersonal.
13. Ability to determine solutions in addition to recognizing problems.
14. Ability to prioritize and manage competing priorities.
15. Ability to operate at a high level of independent thinking.
16. Inquiring mind and the ability to challenge issues and recommend strong solutions.
17. Resourceful and willing to take initiative.
18. Excellent organizational, communication (written & verbal) and decision making/problem solving and interpersonal skills.
19. Demonstrated flexibility in responding to work demands.
20. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.