Monday to Friday
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday (24/7 support for mission critical systems required)
Reporting to the Director of IT Security, Network & Telecom, the Network Engineer is responsible for implementing, maintaining, supporting, and developing communication networks within the Health Network. The Network Engineer in conjunction with the Senior Network Engineer is also responsible to design and implement networks with our peers e.g. eHEALTH and other partner hospitals. This includes developing business cases to using new technology and how to leverage existing technologies in the Health Network. The Network Engineer participates in the specification development, the procurement process and the implementation of all network / internetwork technology projects.
Although primarily located at the St. Joseph's Health Centre site, the incumbent will be required to be flexible to periodically travel to other sites in the network.
• Maximize network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades and maintaining network optimization;
• Undertake data network fault investigations in local and wide area environments, using information from multiple sources and performs root cause analysis;
• Securing network systems by ensuring policies are enforced, as well as assist in defining and monitoring access in line with IT security policy
• Upgrade data network equipment to the latest stable firmware releases;
• The configuration of routing, switching and wireless controller equipment;
• In collaboration with the telecommunications support team, assist with the configuration of hosted IP voice services;
• Conduct Wireless Network Surveys as needed for new locations, expansions, and troubleshooting;
• Ensure IP Addressing Scheme/DB is maintained and up to date across all sites;
• Ensure cabling requirements adheres to industry best practice as well as assist in repairs where necessary;
• Plans, researches and develops network solutions related to computer and communications technologies such as data warehouses, PACS systems, LABS systems etc. Required to support department specific needs including Medical Imaging, Labs, Research, Education, Finance, and Human Resources
• Assist in the implementation of new network technology solutions in hospital departments by providing technical support to other technical specialists and department leads to ensure on time delivery of systems as well as successful implementation and user adoption of the systems.
• Represent the IT department at all projects workgroups meetings (clinical and or administrative) that have a technology component such as M.I. Technology workgroup, LABS technology workgroup to offer subject matter expertise and ensure decision align with the Health Network and IM strategic plans.
• Draft network technology requirements for all RFPs (Clinical and or Administrative) in order to ensure that the Health Network procures systems that comply with the Health Network's technology standards and can integrate with existing systems.
• Evaluate RFP Responses to ensure that proposed systems and system acquisitions comply with the Health Network's standards and will integrate to existing systems.
• Participate in vendor selection process for all projects that have a technology component to ensure that vendor selection criteria includes strategic fit as well as that proposed systems will meet or exceed the Health Network's standards and will integrate to existing systems.
• Participate in contract negotiation with selected vendors.
• Provide technical support and briefings to the IT Director Security & Telecom and other stakeholders to assist in promoting new IT infrastructure initiatives to user departments and other management areas which will lower operational costs, improve system availability or enhance / improve department efficiency or enable delivery of safer care.
• Plan, research and develop solutions related to network and communications infrastructure of the Health Network in order to recommend and implement technologies solutions that will enable the IM strategic plan.
• Evaluate emerging network technology trends and solutions against current hospital practice and advises Executive Director IT and IT Director Security & Telecom of opportunities for change in order to drive efficiency.
1. Completion of a Community College diploma in Network Support or a related field.
2. Minimum 3 years' experience supporting Cisco LAN, WAN, and Wireless LAN (wi-fi) devices
3. Certification in Cisco CCNA required.
4. Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, advanced knowledge of Email and Internet
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Excellent interpersonal skills.
7. Demonstrated flexibility and ability to adapt to change.
8. Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work in a constantly changing and fast-paced environment.
9. Demonstrated initiative, self-direction, leadership and commitment to continuous professional learning.
10. Demonstrated ability to effectively work in teams and on projects.
11. Satisfactory Attendance Record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.