Full Time Temporary
Must be available for all shifts
$32.21 to $45.31 per hour, 25 year rate: $46.11 per hour
Full Time Temporary until Approximately February 11, 2019
Must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights, weekends and Holidays)
St. Joseph's Health Centre currently has an exciting opportunity to join our critical care team as a Registered Nurse in our Intensive Care Unit. As an integral member of the interprofessional care team, our distinctive ICU offers first-rate care in an innovative environment supporting the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
In this position, you will be instrumental in caring for critically ill patients and also being there for their families as they go through one of the most difficult journeys in their lives. Affiliated with the University of Toronto, we strive to provide cutting-edge care and services while developing innovative community partnerships that strengthen one's quality of life. We are committed to professional development, research, innovation and student learning. We are also dedicated to building a diverse workforce that reflects the community in which we live and serve. If you are looking to grow your career in a professionally rewarding, challenging, and fulfilling environment, this position is for you!
The ideal candidate will possess superior nursing and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated competence in the area of critical care. Working collaboratively alongside other health care professionals you will demonstrate the ability to incorporate current evidence and best practice into plans of care and in the provision of your professional nursing services. You will approach the planning, delivery of care to patients and families in a manner which promotes health and well-being, recognizes patient dignity and regards patients and their families as an essential partner in the delivery of healthcare. As a member of our critical care team, you are highly-adaptable, highly-flexible and thrive in a fast paced environment. The Registered Nurse will be committed to continuous professional development of their nursing competencies. Successful candidates will be required to have completed a critical care certificate.
Some other quick facts about our ICU:
• Our unique ICU was designed with the input of staff and consists of 17 beds and has the capacity for 20 beds. There are windows for some of our patients and a skylight to let in natural light.
• Nursing care is usually provided at a 1:1, RN to patient ratio or a 2:1 ratio.
• The ICU is a closed unit that is led by four Intensivists who manage the unit one week at a time.
• A Critical Care Response Team also works out of the ICU with specifically trained ICU RNs assigned on a 24/7 basis.
• The interdisciplinary team includes: an Advanced Practice Clinical Educator, Social Worker, Clinical Ethicist, Dietician and Physiotherapist.
• There are over 800 patients each year admitted to the ICU. The average length of stay is about 6 days.
• Our ICU supports regional programs including the hepatobiliary and thoracic patient population within the Greater Toronto Area LHIN.
• Our patients present with: respiratory conditions requiring ventilation including oscillation as required; shock; renal failure requiring hemodialysis or continuous renal replacement therapy; post-operative surgical procedures include general cases, thorasics, and bariatrics; and emergency admissions including resuscitation patients.
1. Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
2. Current Critical Care experience required.
3. Critical Care Certificate required.
4. ACLS issued by the Heart and Stroke Foundation or a program recognized by the Heart and Stroke Foundation, required within 6 months of hire.
5. Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
6. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate within an inter-professional team.
7. Must be able to deal effectively with patients and family members in crisis situations.
8. Demonstrated commitment to continuing education.
9. Ability to be well organized and flexible.
10. Excellent computer skills.
11. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.