On-call, when needed
$26.193 to $30.082 per hour
As a trained professional, the Interpreter facilitates clear communication between SJHC Healthcare Providers and patients and/or families with Limited English Proficiency (LEP). The primary responsibilities include relaying the message between all parties accurately, conveying the context of the original message, maintaining strict code of confidentiality and code of ethics according to the policies of St. Joseph's Health Centre and the Interpreters Code of Ethics. It is also expected that the professional interpreter will keep abreast of new vocabulary, changes and trends in English and target language(s) and strive to improve overall knowledge and skills in order to maintain high professional standards. This position will require prompt response to urgent referrals and performing all other duties as required.
1. Successful completion of both Language proficiency tests (such as CILISAT or ILSAT) or willingness to complete within three months of hire.
2. Completion of an Interpreter's Training Program, provided by a community interpretation service required.
3. College Diploma or Bachelor's degree required.
4. One to 2 years experience interpreting in a health setting preferred.
5. Knowledge of target language communities, Canadian culture and healthcare system.
6. Excellent written and oral skills in English and target languages.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills.
8. Flexibility regarding scheduling, and ability to respond promptly to urgent requests.
9. Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
10. Comfortable using the Internet, email and other computer applications as needed.
11. Additional duties as required.
12. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.