Monday- Friday Days
$37.503 - $51.411 per hour
You are viewing a vacancy at the St. Joseph's Health Centre site, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Michael's Hospital. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
On August 1, 2017, Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph's Health Centre and St. Michael's Hospital integrated to form a new health network. United, the three organizations serve patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education. This is an important and exciting milestone for each of our organizations and the people we care for as we work towards our vision of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
If you are a strategic and inspiring leader with a passion for partnership, innovation and excellence, St. Joe's needs you to make our community one of the healthiest in Canada. A strong emphasis on quality practice supports the creation of an innovative practice structure that further supports our commitment to Patient and Family-Centred Care through an Interprofessional Collaborative Care Delivery Model. Come join us as we co-create a different future for health.
In your role as the Advanced Practice Clinical Educator (APCE) for Perioperative Practice, you will be accountable for planning, leading, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive educational program for all members of the interprofessional team within the Perioperative Services team. Reporting to the Collaborative Practice Leader, you will work in collaboration with others on the leadership team. You will work to promote clinical excellence in patient and family centred care (PFCC) utilizing your knowledge of evidence based practices working in collaboration with members of the interprofessional team.
As the successful candidate, you will continuously role model and mentor others to achieve success. You are an energetic person who takes pride in building strong and effective interpersonal relationships. As the successful candidate, you will lead staff and support program development in the Perioperative areas as an educator, consultant, researcher, facilitator, change agent and leader. Working with the Corporate Advanced Practice Clinical Educators and your program-specific Advanced Practice Clinical Educator colleagues, you will plan, develop, implement and evaluate the program specific orientation and ongoing education programs. Your knowledge and expertise in perioperative nursing, best practice guidelines for perioperative patients, PFCC and interprofessional collaboration will make you an ideal candidate for this role. Your philosophy of education and practice promotes a positive and continuous learning climate and is enhanced by your enthusiasm and innovation in patient care and clinical education and practice. You will use research to continually drive quality improvement by engaging with the interprofessional team and patients and families to assess, plan, implement and evaluate change initiatives. As a role model of professional behavior, you will be instrumental in creating a professional climate within St. Joe¡¦s to enable the organization to achieve its vision as the Best Community Teaching Health Centre in Canada.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate orientation and continuing education to members of the interprofessional team in the Perioperative areas including Operating room, Cystoscopy, and Minor surgery and Pre-Admission and Day of Surgery, or other areas requiring perioperative practice support, as required.
- Collaborate with and support orientation and preceptor-ship for clinical experiences of learners;
- In partnership with the preceptors, arrange for the provision of education and competency testing, advanced nursing competencies and other unit specific skills;
- Monitor and evaluate individual integration of learning into clinical practice and partner with individual members of the interprofessional team to establish recommendations and plans for improvement and/or achievement of clinical excellence;
- Works in partnership with the Patient Care Managers and the interprofessional teams to support continued advancement of skill and practice excellence;
- Works collaboratively, as a vital team member, with the Patient Care Managers to address the practice and educational needs of all staff members.
- Supports the staff performance appraisal process
- Evaluates and monitors proper and safe use of clinical equipment;
- Participates in program committees as required;
- Participates in regional educational and planning activities when required;
- Facilitates teambuilding and leadership development for the program;
- Maintains flexibility when managing multiple roles and responsibilities;
- Role models and promotes the concept of lifelong learning;
- Seeks opportunities to develop staff in various roles;
- Promote best practices and evidence based care through the implementation of initiatives that are defined in partnership with the clinical program and other key stakeholders
- Participate in the development of processes, policies and procedures to support the provision of safe, quality and equitable care
- Foster an environment that promotes patient/family centred care and interprofessional collaboration
1. Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required.
2. Master's Degree in Nursing or related field required or currently enrolled with completion within two (2) years.
3. Formal training or experience in Adult Education considered an asset.
4. Post diploma perioperative course required.
5. Current registration, in good standing, with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
6. Canadian Nurses Association Certificate in Perioperative Nursing required CPN(C).
7. ORNAC, OPANA and AORN membership considered an asset.
8. Minimum of five years recent, relevant clinical and educational experience in Perioperative Practice is required.
9. Strong knowledge of ORNAC, OPANA, AORN, PIDAC, CSGNA, CSA standards.
10. Strong ability to work with various computer programs, i.e. Microsoft Office and presentation software.
11. Experience using project management skills and methodologies in examining & re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing & implementing new strategies & procedures.
12. Demonstrated competence in the design, delivery and evaluation of educational programs or change initiatives for staff in a health care environment.
13. Demonstrated skills in the use of research in the practice setting, clinical education, planning, consultation and facilitation.
14. Demonstrated strong leadership skills required.
15. Demonstrated ability to develop a system to validate learning, and ensure that practice changes are measured, sustained and improve outcomes.
16. A track record of ensuring evidence based research, and evolving recognized standards are used to guide practice changes.
17. Strong communication skills and ability to establish positive relationships with all staff physicians and leaders on the team is required.
18. Excellent oral and written abilities required.
19. Satisfactory attendance record required.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.