As part of the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Services program, we provide pharmacy services to inpatients, outpatients, staff and the general public.
The pharmacy provides a safe and effective medication system within the Health Centre including unit-dose drug distribution, centralized intravenous admixture services and chemotherapy preparation.
Pharmacists and regulated pharmacy technicians make a difference in four key areas:
- As your medication experts
As your hospital pharmacy team, we are your medication experts that evaluate patient medication needs, effectiveness and safety on the basis of patient information and evidence-based assessment of treatments. Pharmacists and technicians also work together to gather all the information to ensure that the patient’s home medications are started correctly while they’re in hospital.
- As an integral part of your health care team
While pharmacy technicians ensure that the right drug is filled and delivered, pharmacists work in collaboration with other healthcare professionals to ensure appropriate care is provided to patients. The pharmacy team works together to reduce adverse drug reactions and maximize patient compliance, reducing unnecessary hospital admissions and saving millions on healthcare spending.
- By providing patient-centered care
Your hospital pharmacy team provides care that respects a patient’s preferences, needs and values. Through medication therapy management, the pharmacy team empowers patients to be involved in their own care.
- By providing a variety of healthcare services
Whether it’s in the community, inpatient unit, clinics or family health teams, your pharmacy team ensures that patients are well informed on how to use and care for their medication devices, create personalized care plans, help them understand their medications and enable them to make decisions regarding their health.
The Retail (Outpatient) Pharmacy is located in the East Wing on the ground floor near Family Practice and the exit.
- Caring and compassionate service
- Free home delivery
- Seniors pay just $2.83 per prescription after meeting annual deductible
- Coordination with hospital clinical teams for timely prescription fill on discharge
- Integration and teaching with outpatient clinics
- Specialty medications often difficult to locate at community pharmacies (cancer and transplant medications, TB medications, injections, and others)
- Collaboration with patient support programs that can help improve access to high cost specialty medications
- Compliance packaging to help patients or their caregivers remember when to take medications
- Direct on-line billing with most drug insurance carriers including our hospital plan for staff
- MedsCheck Medication Review appointments
- Breast pumps available for rental and purchase
- Selection of assistive devices and compression garment fitting service
- For Unity Health staff and physicians:
- The dispensing fee difference is waived for all eligible Unity Health plan employees
- Staff discount are available on eligible non-prescription products
The Retail Pharmacy is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed weekends and holidays. For information, please call 416-530-6555.