Bowls are easy to prepare and packed with healthy foods that will keep you energized until dinner. Try making this one — recommended by our dietitian Ashley Mendes — for a lunch you’ll look forward to!
- 1-2 cups leafy greens (romaine lettuce, kale or spinach)
- 1 boiled egg
- ½ cup boiled chopped red potatoes
- ½ cup steamed or roasted broccoli
- ½ can low-sodium tuna (or flavoured tuna — try spicy thai)
- ¼ cup chick peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add 1-2 cups shredded lettuce to bottom of your bowl.
- Add egg, chopped potatoes, broccoli, tuna and chickpeas.
- Drizzle olive oil over the bowl and sprinkle with black pepper
To make enough of these for the week, boil the eggs at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge. Keep beans (sodium-free) in an airtight container in the fridge as well once you’ve opened a can.
Looking for more? Try these other quick lunch bowl combos:
- Chopped kale, quinoa, sweet potato, black beans, roasted red peppers and avocado with tahini dressing.
- Chopped iceburg lettuce, cooked ground beef, corn, chopped pepper, black beans, shredded light cheese, ½ tsp taco seasoning and a dollop of light sour cream.
Stay up to date on news, health tips and more from Unity Health Toronto at UnityHealth.to/newsletter.