Its BBQ season! Try a new version of an old classic by going meatless at your next BBQ party with this delicious grilled portobello and peach burger. This recipe incorporates peaches which are a great source of vitamin C and fibre, fresh tomatoes that are high in lycopene and fresh herbs that not only add lots of flavour but also phytochemicals, which prevent inflammation in the body.
- Preparation: Clean the portobello mushrooms by carefully removing dirt from the caps with a kitchen towel or cloth; you can use a little water if needed. Pat dry. Cut the peaches in halves and remove the pits.
- Making the marinade: Pour olive oil in a small bowl. Add one chopped rosemary sprig, chopped thyme, mashed garlic, freshly squeezed lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Stir around.
- Grilling the mushrooms: Use the other rosemary sprig to brush the mushrooms and peaches with the marinade. When the grill is ready, grill the portobello and peaches for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, while you use the rosemary stick to brush the marinade over them one more time.
- Making the guacamole: Chop avocados, tomatoes and parsley roughly. Add them to a small bowl with mashed garlic. Squeeze lemon juice over it, and mash everything with a fork. It’s okay if it stays a little chunky.
- Assembling the burger: Slice the buns in halves. Let them get some color on the grill. When done, place a big dollop of guacamole on the bottom bun, and add pea sprouts, tomatoes and spring onion to the portobello mushroom and peach halves. Add the top of the bun, and insert a stick to hold it all together. Enjoy!
Stay up to date on news, health tips and more from Unity Health Toronto at UnityHealth.to/newsletter.