If you are scheduled for admission for an elective surgical procedure, the Pre-Admission Clinic will manage your admission. If you are admitted from another area of the Health Centre, Bed Control staff will be available to assist you in the admissions process.
You’ll be ‘screened’
This simply means we’ll do routine health checks to make sure we plan properly for your surgery. You may get a telephone call from our staff or you may be called in for an appointment at the Pre Admission Clinic
- A nursing visit, as part of the Pre Admission Clinic visit to review your medical history and information about your upcoming surgery.
- A pharmacist visit, as part the Pre Admission Clinic visit, to ask you about any medications you are taking.
- A consultation with an Anaesthesiologist to review the plan for managing your surgery and ‘after surgery’ pain you may have.
- You may have a blood sample taken and an ECG (Electrocardiogram) done.
- If you are having a knee or hip replacement, you may need to attend a group class (at the hospital) where you’ll learn exercises for before and after your surgery, discuss equipment you may require, and plan for the care and support you will need when you are discharged from hospital.
If you are asked to come in for a Pre Admission Clinic appointment:
- We will try to schedule the visit for a time that is good for you.
- Patients, who have limited mobility, are confused, or do not speak English, should bring a family member with them to help and interpret.
- You do not need to fast from food or drink for this appointment, only on your surgery date.
- Please bring your Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
- Please bring all of the medications that you take, or bring an up–to-date list.
- Bring all of your medications, including any herbal supplements that you are currently taking, in their original containers.
- Bring all completed forms from your family physician and/or surgeon.
- Bring a book or magazine to read while you wait for tests.
If you have any questions, please ask! Getting information will help you to make informed health care decisions. For more information, please contact the Pre-Admission Centre at 416-530-6504.
Your surgeon’s office will give you a package of forms
- Complete the “Patient Self-Assessment”
- The “History and Physical” form must be completed by your family doctor, so be sure to make an appointment for this well in advance of your surgery date.
You may get a “Medscheck”
If you take 3 or more prescription medications, please ask your pharmacist about setting up a “Medscheck” appointment before your surgery. He or she will review your medications and provide a report for you to bring to the hospital for your Pre Admission Clinic appointment. This information will help the staff as they prepare you for surgery.
For more information about Medscheck call 1-866-255-6701 (TTY 1-800-387-5599) or visit the Medscheck website (opens in new tab).