For residents of Ontario who have a valid health insurance card, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) pays for hospital and medical services, with some exceptions. The items not covered by OHIP that you need to pay for include:
- Preferred accommodation: semi-private $245.00 per day and private rooms $290.00 per day. An interprovincial hospital billing rate per diem of $1,161 will be charged in the event that someone is ready for discharge but chooses not leave the Health Centre.
- Telephone $2.50 per day
- Television services offered through Hospitality Network:
- Basic TV: $11.00 per day and $165.00 per month
- Premium package (includes all TV channels, internet, audiobooks, games, radio, etc.): $14.50 per day, or $217.50 per month
- To order, please use the contact information displayed on each bedside terminal. Patients and their family members can pay using the bedside TV terminal, online at http://hospitalitynetwork.ca/. Payment for TV services is made directly through Hospitality Network and not St. Joe’s Patient Accounts department. For more information please call Hospitality Network at 1-866-223-3686.
- Ambulance fees: all users must pay a co-payment for ambulance trips to the hospital of $45.00.If the use of the ambulance is deemed non-essential, the fee is $240.00
- Medical supplies, such as crutches, canes, etc. (prices vary)
- Uninsured services such as circumcisions for newborns, removal of certain moles and cysts, cosmetic surgery, and any other de-listed services determined by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (prices vary).
- ALC Co-payment – if during your stay you require an alternate level of care (long-term care home, complex continuing care) you will be billed an ALC Co-payment rate up to a maximum Ministry established rate of: Daily $58.99, or Monthly $1,794.28. An interprovincial hospital billing rate per diem of $1,161 will be charged in the event that someone is ready for discharge but chooses not leave the Health Centre. For more information about ALC-Co-payment visit the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care website by clicking here.
For patients with no Canadian provincial health insurance coverage, hospital and physician fees are charged directly. A daily room rate covers meals, nursing care and some medical supplies. Physician expenses will be billed separately by your doctor. Payment arrangements must be agreed upon with both the physician and the hospital prior to admission and/or service. (The exception is emergent care, which will always be provided regardless of ability to pay.)
The cost for hospital accommodations and services is as follows:
- Ward accommodation: $2500.00 for non-residents of Canada
- For semi-private accommodation – add $245.00 per day
- For private accommodation – add $290.00 per day
- Nursery accommodation $787.00 per day
- Day Surgery $2668.00
- Emergency visit $792.00
- Clinic Visit $346.00
For more financial and insurance information or to make a payment, contact Patient Accounts located in the East Wing on the 1st Floor, 416-530-6498. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday and closed on weekends and all statutory holidays. Payments can be made in the Emergency Department when the Patient Accounts department is closed or online by clicking here: http://stjoestoronto.ca/patient-care-and-services/pay-online/