Family Birthing Centre
Must be available for Days, Evenings, Nights, and Weekends including Holidays, 8 and 12 hour shifts
$27.049 - $29.358 per hour
The Registered Practical Nurse will provide exemplary patient and family centred care in partnership with a variety of Family Birthing Centre patients within an Interprofessional Collaborative Perinatal Model of Care, in order to best meet the needs, values, and preferences of patients and their families. As a member of the team, the Registered Practical Nurse applies practical nursing theory in the assessment of patients, development of the nursing care plan in collaboration and partnership with the patient, family and entire interprofessional team, implementation of the care plan and ongoing evaluation of the patient.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Performs relevant initial and ongoing physical, social, emotional and spiritual assessments using appropriate sources specific to the clinical practice setting.
• Ensures patient and family needs, values and preferences guide clinical decision making and are integrated into care planning.
• Recognizes deviation from normal health status; communicates assessment to the Registered Nurse and/or other appropriate interprofessional team members and takes appropriate action as required.
• Documents and communicates pertinent patient information in a timely manner.
• Collaborates with the interprofessional team to develop the plan of care in partnership with the patient and their family.
• Identifies patient's learning and transition planning needs and communicates this to the interprofessional team including Charge Nurse/Team Leader.
• Coordinates patient care/services with the appropriate interprofessional team members.
• Fosters patient and family independence and reintegration into their community.
• Independently provides nursing care to stable, predictable patient populations with low risk of negative outcomes, in a safe, competent, and ethical manner.
• Provides accurate and consistent patient teaching in a flexible and creative manner.
• Maintains an accurate account of care given through clear and concise verbal communication and written/electronic documentation.
• Processes orders and seeks verification of orders from the ordering physician, nurse practitioner or other health care provider if needed.
1. Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program.
2. Current BLS/CPR Certificate required.
3. Completion of NRP within 6 months of hire.
4. Breastfeeding Certificate completed within 6 months of hire.
5. Fetal Health Surveillance completed within 18 months of hire.
6. The following components of a perinatal nursing certificate, or equivalent RPN perinatal nursing certificate to be completed within 18 months of hire:
a. Essentials of prenatal and postnatal care
b. The Newborn: Assessment and Initial management
c. Breastfeeding basics
7. Currently registered as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
8. Recent maternity nursing experience required, including perioperative and post-partum assessments, discharge planning, and education experience. Candidates who do not have recent maternity nursing experience may be considered if they have a minimum of 1 year recent perioperative nursing experience and there are no qualified applicants.
9. Excellent physical assessment skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
10. Demonstrated understanding and champion of patient and family centred maternity care.
11. Demonstrated ability to organize patient care demands and to set priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
12. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
13. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patient and family.
14. Demonstrated commitment to continuing education and professional development.
15. Excellent computer skills.
16. Demonstrated ability to work effectively within an interprofessional team as well as independently.
17. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.