7M - Inpatient Adult Mental Health Unit
Full Time Temporary
12 hour day, evening, and night shifts
$27.049 to $29.358 per hour
Full Time Temporary until Approximately August 1st, 2018
Are you looking to make a difference in people's lives? St. Joseph's Health Centre currently has an exciting opportunity to join our mental health team as a Registered Practical Nurse in our Adult Inpatient Mental Health Unit (7M). As an integral member of the interprofessional care team and working with a highly acute mental health and/or addictions patient population, the Registered Practical Nurse will be responsible for the provision of high quality, patient and family centered nursing care, within a trauma informed framework in an acute care setting. In this position, you will be instrumental in helping people learn to manage their illnesses and support their recovery journey while growing your career in a professionally rewarding, fun, challenging and fulfilling environment.
As part of our larger Mental Health and Addictions program, our 35 bed inpatient unit, including a psychiatric intensive care unit, provides services to adults 19 years and older and is focused on delivering holistic and accessible mental health services to patients and their families. Affiliated with the University of Toronto, we strive to provide cutting-edge trauma informed care and services while developing innovative community partnerships that strengthen lives. We are committed to professional development, research, innovation and student learning.
The ideal candidate will possess superior nursing and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated competence in the field of mental health and addictions. Working collaboratively alongside other health care professionals you will demonstrate the ability to incorporate current evidence and best practice into plans of care and in the provision of your professional nursing services. You will approach the planning, delivery of care to patients and families in a manner which promotes health and well-being, recognizes patient dignity and regards patients and their families as an essential partner in the delivery of healthcare. As a member of our mental health team, you are highly-adaptable, highly-flexible and thrive in a fast paced environment. The Registered Nurse will be committed to continuous professional development of their nursing competencies.
1. Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program. Candidates who are currently working as an RPN at the Health Centre with a medication administration certificate will be considered.
2. Current BCLS certificate
3. Currently registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
4. Recent clinical experience in acute mental health nursing required.
5. Excellent interpersonal and English communication skills, both written and verbal.
6. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in effective therapeutic communication techniques and interviewing skills
7. Comprehensive knowledge base of major mental health disorders and current treatment modalities
8. Evidence of understanding of current healthcare legislation as it pertains to mentally ill individuals
9. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patients and families.
10. Demonstrated physical assessment skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills
11. Demonstrated ability to organize patient care demands and to set priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
12. Commitment to professional training and development.
13. Demonstrated computer skills.
14. Demonstrated understanding and commitment to patient and family centered care.
15. Demonstrated critical thinking abilities.
16. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within an interprofessional team, as well as independently.
17. Ability to respond to code white situations
18. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.