Corporate Communications & Public Affairs
$31.669 to $39.732 per hour
Full-time Temporary until Approximately February 4th, 2019
On August 1, 2017, Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph's Health Centre and St. Michael's Hospital integrated to form a new health network. United, the three organizations serve patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education. This is an important and exciting milestone for each of our organizations and the people we care for as we work towards our vision of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
The Communications and Public Affairs department is responsible for reputation management of our network, internal and external communications, branding and marketing, media relations, digital media, government and stakeholder relations and community engagement.
The Communications Associate is an integral member of the Communications and Public Affairs team, striving to build the network's local, national and international reputation as a progressive leader in the treatment of critical care, serious illnesses, community health, rehab and complex continuing care, and research and education that impact patient care.
We are looking for an experienced, creative and highly-motivated Communications Associate to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for planning, producing and managing internal and external communications and marketing/branding plans for the network's strategic initiatives and activities. This work will include developing and executing communication plans and campaigns and writing content for our newsletters, external publications and social media to help raise the profile of our network, our people and the services we provide across our three sites.
The Communications Associate will act as an expert advisor to our interprofessional teams and leaders on strategic communication activities and liaise with the appropriate external contacts to foster partnerships. You will report to the Director of Strategic Communication and work closely with our Senior Communication Advisors supporting our quality, research and education, and clinical portfolios.
• Plan, coordinate, develop and implement communication plans and products that advance and support the network's corporate objectives
• Assist in establishing an annual communications strategy for the health network.
• Implementation of specific components of that strategy.
• Lead the planning, writing and development of corporate communication strategies and campaigns that demonstrates our commitments in our Strategic Plan and promotes our brand
• Coach and advise committee, directors, managers, and project managers on departmental internal and external communications.
• Respond in a professional and timely manner to client requests and incoming questions from the public.
• Work collaboratively within the Communications and Public Affairs team, the Foundation and with other departments
• Act as the Communications & Public Affairs representative on a rotational basis after hours
• Other strategic communication duties as assigned: event support, photo support, social media and media relations support, updating hospital-wide communication assets, etc.
• Undergraduate degree/diploma in journalism, public relations, communications, or related area.
• Minimum 2 to 5 years' experience required.
• Extensive knowledge of communications trends and ability to foresee newsworthy stories.
• Demonstrated experience in successfully developing and implementing communication strategies, public awareness campaigns, corporate communications, media relations and issues management support.
• Exceptional writer and editor; must have ability to ensure error free materials.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including executives, board members,
• Results oriented, self-directed, and independent, with the ability to balance multifaceted projects and competing priorities.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure; mature judgment for assessing difficult situations.
• Results oriented, self-directed, outstanding organization and time management skills.
• High energy, flexibility and the ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
All candidates contacted for an interview are asked to bring examples of their work and please be prepared to leave copies behind.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.