Monday to Friday; with some flexibility required
$37.503 to $51.411 per hour
Join St. Joseph's Health Centre at an exciting time as we create our Vision 2020 embarking on our Strategic and Clinical Services Planning. A strong emphasis on quality practice supports our creation of an innovative practice structure that further supports our commitment to Patient and Family Centred care through an Interprofessional Collaborative Care Delivery Model. Come join us as we co-create a different future for health within our community.
In your role as the Advanced Practice Clinical Educator (APCE), you will be accountable for the planning, leading, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive practice and educational program for all members of the interprofessional team. Reporting to the Collaborative Practice Leader, you will work in collaboration with others on the leadership team. You will work to promote clinical excellence in patient and family centred care (PFCC) utilizing your knowledge of evidence based practices working in collaboration with members of the interprofessional team. As the successful candidate, you will continuously role model and mentor others to achieve success. You are an energetic person who takes pride in building strong and effective interpersonal relationships.
As the successful candidate, you will lead staff and support program development in the Emergency Department as a clinical expert, change agent, leader, educator, consultant, researcher, and facilitator. Working with the Corporate Advanced Clinical Practice Educators, unit based Advanced Practice Clinical Educators, interprofessional team, and patients and families, you will plan, develop, implement and evaluate the program specific interprofessional practice, education, and orientation programs. Your knowledge and expertise in Emergency and Critical Care Services, best practices for patients, PFCC and interprofessional collaboration, will make you an ideal candidate for this role. Your philosophy of education and practice excellence promotes a positive and continuous learning climate and is enhanced by your enthusiasm and innovation in patient care and clinical education. You will use best practices to continually drive quality improvement by engaging with the interprofessional team to assess, plan, implement and evaluate change initiatives. As a role model of professional behavior, you will be instrumental in creating a professional climate within St. Joe's to enable the organization to achieve its vision as the Best Community Teaching Health Centre in Canada. Our Emergency Department provides comprehensive and a wide range of services in our Community. As the only ED serving southwest Toronto, our top priority is to provide the community with excellent access to a variety of emergency services. Our ED treats over 200 patients everyday. Approximately 70% of the APCE's time will be spent in the ED to support staff with knowledge transfer and application of best-practices.
The Advanced Practice Clinical Educator improves patient care by:
• Identifying clinical practice learning needs
• Designing, implementing and evaluating initiatives/educational programs that meet patient/staff needs
• Coaching interprofessional staff with clinical decision making, in a fast-paced highly complex and acute environment
• Demonstrating a strong understanding of care needs of patients and families requiring Emergency Services and Critical Care, and in supporting to staff to provide exceptional care to patients, with optimal patient outcomes
• Developing and coordinating processes and strategies that enable and advance professional practice and ongoing education/training.
• Develop processes that ensure evidence-based practice.
• Assisting/leading the implementation of evidence-based practice guidelines.
• Promote and model an environment that fosters continuous learning and professional practice for program staff.
• Supporting nursing orientation and other corporate initiatives
There are five major competencies for high performance as an Advanced Practice Clinical Educator: clinical expertise, consultation, education and coaching, facilitation, and self-assessment and development. We are looking for an experienced clinician with advanced knowledge and skills who enjoys a high pace environment and can move the program forward from a professional practice and educational perspective. We are also looking for someone who is flexible with scheduling.
1. Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required.
2. Master's Degree in Nursing or related field required or currently enrolled with anticipated completion in two (2) years.
3. Current Certificate of Competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario and member in good standing.
4. Current CPR certification required.
5. Certification in ACLS and PALS required, TNCC preferred.
6. Canadian Nursing Association Certificate in Emergency Nursing required or completed within 2 years of start date.
7. Minimum of 5 years recent clinical Emergency Department practice.
8. Demonstrated competence in the design, delivery and evaluation of innovative educational programs for staff in a health care environment.
9. Demonstrated competence in adult education.
10. Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary team & community partners.
11. Demonstrated ability to develop a system to validate learning, and ensure that practice changes are measured, sustained and improve outcomes.
12. Experience using project management skills and methodologies in examining & re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing & implementing new strategies & procedures.
13. A track record of ensuring evidence based research, and evolving recognized standards are used to guide practice changes.
14. Strong commitment to life-long learning and professional development.
15. Proven strong consultation /communication/critical thinking/problem-solving skills – written and oral.
16. Proficient with Microsoft Office computer software applications.
17. Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
18. Demonstrated effective leadership, project management, time management and organizational skills required.
19. Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to establish positive relationships with all staff and physicians on the team is required.
20. Membership in a relevant professional organization is an asset.
21. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.