Mental Health Short Stay Unit (MHSSU)
12 Hour shifts, must be available for all shifts
$32.21 to $45.310 per hour, 25 year rate: $46.110 per hour
St. Joseph's Health Centre currently has an exciting opportunity to join our mental health team as a Registered Nurse in our Mental Health Short Stay Unit (MHSSU). This is a unique, short stay unit, focused on intensive therapy-based care, with strong connections with our community partners designed to facilitate a rapid re-integration to the community for patients. As part of a highly functioning, cohesive team, you will have the opportunity to utilize a full range of nursing skills in a highly therapeutic and autonomous staff-directed environment committed to helping people learn to manage their illnesses and supporting their recovery journey. As an integral member of the interprofessional care team, the Registered Nurse will be responsible for the provision of high quality, client and family centered nursing care for patients in an acute care setting.
Over recent years, this six bed unit has provided quality mental health care to adults presenting with a variety of mental health diagnoses, medical conditions and/or addiction issues. Over the next year, the Mental Health Short Stay Unit will change its target population from adults to the Emerging Adults (EA) population 16yrs – 25ys. This shift in mental health services meets the transition needs of this underserved population and is an exciting opportunity to be part of an innovative approach to serving our community while developing specialized skills. Affiliated with the University of Toronto and as part of our larger Mental Health and Addictions program, we strive to provide cutting-edge trauma informed care and services while developing innovative community partnerships that strengthen lives. St. Joseph's is committed to professional development, research, innovation and student learning.
The ideal candidate will possess superior nursing and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated competence in the field of mental health and addictions. Working collaboratively alongside other health care professionals you will demonstrate the ability to incorporate current evidence and best practice into plans of care and in the provision of your professional nursing services. You will approach the planning, delivery of care to patients and families in a manner which promotes health and well-being, recognizes patient dignity and regards patients and their families as an essential partner in the delivery of healthcare. As a member of our mental health team, you are highly-adaptable, highly-flexible and thrive in a fast paced environment. The Registered Nurse will be committed to continuous professional development of their nursing competencies. Successful candidates will be required to successfully complete their Canadian Nurses Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing within two years.
1. Currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
2. Canadian Nurses Association (C.N.A) Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing on hire or willingness to complete
within 2 years of start date.
3. Current BLS/CPR.
4. Non-Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention Training required within 3 months of start date.
5. 2 years of recent mental health and addictions nursing experience in an acute care setting required
(recent within last 5 years). Candidates with a minimum of 6 months of experience may be considered at the
Health Centre's sole discretion.
6. Experience working with the emerging adult (EA) patient population strongly preferred.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
8. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to patient and family centred care.
9. Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills.
10. Demonstrated passion for change and ongoing quality improvement in support of patient care
11. Experience in engaging in therapeutic approaches such as but not limited to CBT, DBT, and mindfulness.
12. Experience in facilitating individual and family sessions and comfortable conducting these sessions independently.
13. Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and
effectively within an interprofessional team environment.
14. Demonstrated professionalism, accountability and positive attitude.
15. Demonstrated ability to engage patients and their families in psycho education and structured therapeutic group programming.
16. Proficiency in the application of de-escalation and de-briefing skills.
17. Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and application of trauma-informed approaches.
18. Demonstrated recovery-focused skills in bio-psychosocial assessment, mental status assessments, differential
diagnosis, treatment and transitional care of mental health and addictions patients.
19. Demonstrated knowledge and application of legislation which guides mental health nursing practice (example, Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act, Child and Family Services Act).
20. Demonstrated alignment with St. Joseph's Health Centre Values.
21. Ability to type notes and access/navigate hospital electronic systems for the provision of care to patients.
22. Evidence of ongoing professional development and learning.
23. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.