Weekdays and Weekends: Must be available for shifts between 0730 to 2100
$27.568 to $31.648 per hour
As part of the expanding role of the pharmacy technician, St. Joseph's Health Centre is looking for some dynamic individuals to take on this exciting opportunity to enhance the quality of care we provide to our patients. If you're a people person and highly motivated, we encourage you to apply!
Initial Assignment: (approximately 6 months)
The successful candidate will be responsible for completing Best Possible Medication History (BPMH) as a first step in the process of Medication Reconciliation for patients admitted at St. Joseph's Health Centre. They will play an integral role in improving patient care outcomes as the patient transfers through the various interfaces of institutional care. The candidate will obtain a BPMH through interviewing the patient/patient's family, community pharmacy, reviewing previous hospital records and the Ontario Ministry of Health Drug Profile Viewer information. The candidate may also progress in their role to facilitate discharge medication reconciliation by assisting the pharmacist in completing the Best Possible Medication Discharge Plan (BPMDP).
Main Medication Reconciliation Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate the various information sources to accurately complete a BPMH for each patient (interviewing the patient/patient's family, contacting community pharmacy, reviewing previous hospital records and the Ontario Ministry of Health Drug Profile Viewer information).
2. Complete a rigorous training program and continuous quality improvement to demonstrate proficient interviewing and information gathering skills, and to ensure the most accurate and appropriate BPMH.
3. Complete any associated or applicable documentation pertaining to the completed activities on the appropriate pharmacy documentation system.
4. Collaborate with other team members, and work as an integral member of the health care team.
Following the initial assignment, the successful candidate of this role will rotate into the pool of internal Pharmacy Technicians.
Pharmacy Technician Responsibilities:
1. Become a part of an internal pool of Pharmacy Technicians that would function as the core medication reconciliation group.
2. Rotate in other inpatient hospital technical duties including distribution, unit dose packaging and checking, CIVA, narcotics, and oncology satellite (with appropriate training where needed).
1. Successful completion of a recognized Pharmacy Technician Program.
2. Registration in good standing as a Pharmacy Technician with the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
3. Minimum 3 years of experience working in: Community Pharmacy and/or Hospital Inpatient Pharmacy is a strong asset (Community experience preferred)
4. Previous training as a BPMH Pharmacy Technician is a strong asset
5. Superior and concise communication skills that can be applied for interviewing patients, family, care providers, and interacting with interdisciplinary staff, and external resources.
6. Strong critical thinking skills in order to determine relevant information and successfully complete a BPMH and document in the electronic health record.
7. Strong computer skills required, including experience with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
8. Strong organizational skills to consolidate all resources of medication information and the ability to work independently and effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team.
9. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to email@example.com. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.