Must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights, weekends and Holidays)
$32.21 to $45.31 per hour per hour 25 year rate: $46.110 per hour
St. Joseph's Health Centre is budgeted for 17 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) beds. Our units were designed and planned by the staff and has a capacity of 20 beds. Seven of the beds are of an open bay style, 9 are rooms closed off by sliding glass doors, and 4 are air flow controlled isolation rooms. There are windows for some of our patients and even a skylight to let in natural light.
Nursing care is usually provided at a 1:1, RN to patient ratio or a 2:1 ratio. There is a master schedule for full time staff. There is clerical support for 12 hours, 7 days a week. ICU Assistants are also scheduled daily on every shift. Permanent Team Leaders are scheduled to lead the team on each shift. A Critical Care Response Team also works out of the ICU with specifically trained ICU RNs assigned on a 24/7 basis. The interdisciplinary team includes: an Education Coordinator, Social Worker, Ethicist, Dietician and Physiotherapist. The ICU is a closed unit that is led by 4 Intensivists who manage the unit 1 week at a time. There is an ICU Medical Director and a Patient Care Manager with administrative responsibilities. ICU issues are reviewed and decision-making is via a Point of Care Team with a multidisciplinary membership.
There are over 800 patients each year admitted to the ICU. The average length of stay is about 6 days. Our patients present with: respiratory conditions requiring ventilation including oscillation as required; shock; renal failure requiring hemodialysis or continuous renal replacement therapy; post-operative surgical procedures include general cases, thorasics, and bariatrics; and emergency admissions including resuscitation patients. Linkages are strong with the provincial CritiCall System providing a number of ICU admits.
1. Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
2. Current Critical Care experience required.
3. Critical Care Certificate required.
4. ACLS issued by the Heart and Stroke Foundation or a program recognized by the Heart and Stroke Foundation, required within 6 months of hire.
5. Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
6. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate within an inter-professional team.
7. Must be able to deal effectively with patients and family members in crisis situations.
8. Demonstrated commitment to continuing education.
9. Ability to be well organized and flexible.
10. Excellent computer skills.
11. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
- Upload your resume using the form below. Please note that only PDF or Word Documents may be uploaded.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be properly considered for a position, both the job title and department to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email. Please note, St. Joseph’s Health Centre recommends using our resume uploader as a more secure means of transmission of your personal details. While we accept resume submissions from personal email accounts as well, we cannot ensure the security of submissions sent via third-party email providers.
In support of persons' with disabilities, St. Joseph's Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph's Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.