- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cumin and tumeric and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, until hot to the touch, about 1 minute.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Decrease the temperature and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the chickpeas. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper flakes and saute for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and saute a few more minutes.
- Add the chopped beet green stems, stir and saute for 2 minutes. Throw in the beet greens and stir, sauteing another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, curry powder or garam masala, season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and let sit.
- To finish, stir the shredded beets into the saucepan of quinoa, cover, and let steam for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and the cayenne pepper.
- Serve topped with the curried chickpeas and yogurt or sour cream.
Adapted from Maria Speck’s Ancient Grains for Modern Meals
Subscribe to our eConnections newsletter for the latest St. Joe's news, health tips, recipes and more.